We are Linked to the Past
Concord General Baptist Church was organized in 1863 in the middle of the Civil War with seven charter members. Elder Absalom Pearce was the first pastor. The congregation first met in a schoolhouse from 1863 until 1878 when the present Concord church site was purchased and a log church was erected. A frame structure was later built which was followed by a second frame church built in 1955. In 1960 it was remodeled with eleven Sunday school rooms being added. In the late 70’s the church was again built onto, doubling its size, and the complete structure was bricked.
In the beginning services were held only once a month on the third Sunday. In 1952 the church went to “half-time” with services held twice a month. This was the practice until 1958 when Rev. Roy Ridenour became full time pastor of the church. Rev. Ridenour had served as half-time pastor for two years from 1956-1958 before becoming full-time pastor.
The church has experienced its ups and downs throughout
the years. As with all churches, Concord has been tested, but unlike many of our day, Concord has remained faithful to the Scriptures. We continue to be conservative in our understanding and
commitment to the Scriptures, yet willing to embrace new ideas and technologies for furthering the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Its present pastor, Bro. Eddie Fleming, came in 1991. The church now
embraces multi-media in its services and has added an early and more contemporary Sunday morning service at 8:15 a.m.
We are Linked to the General Association of General Baptist
A General Baptist church since its founding, Concord General Baptist Church is associated with the General Baptist Association of churches and contributes to the work and ministries of the General Baptist denomination. Although theologically similar to General Baptists in England and early America, this body of General Baptists arose in the Midwestern Unities States in the 19th century through the work of Benoni Stinson (1789-1869), a United Baptist minister first in Kentucky and then in Indiana. Stinson was ordained in Kentucky in 1821, and evidently was already leaning toward or embracing Arminian theology. In 1824 representatives from four churches came together and organized the Liberty Association of General Baptists. This appears to be the first time the name “General” was officially associated with this movement.
The denominational headquarters is located in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, where they operate Stinson Press. The official denominational publication is The General Baptist Messenger. The General Association oversees various ministries and boards as well as Oakland City University in Oakland City, Indiana. The General Association is a member of the National Association of Evangelicals and the Baptist World Alliance.
The contributions of Concord and other churches by way
of the “Unified Budget” helps to fund missionaries (Foreign and National), support ministries for our churches and pastors, etc.